Roger Mills

Default Installing LV halogen lights into lath and plaster ceiling?

"Mike Tomlinson" wrote in message

As subject.

I am about to start redecorating a room in a 1930s semi-detached with
original lath and plaster ceilings. I want to drill holes and fit LV
halogen lights and if possible, do not want to get into the nitty-gritty
of tearing down the ceiling and replacing it with plasterboard.

I had the idea of punching a screwdriver through the ceiling in each
light location, then going up into the loft and pouring a water/PVA mix
around each hole (to bind the lath and plaster together) and leaving it
to set for a few days before attempting to drill a hole from below.

Any comments?

--

I would have concerns not only about cutting neat holes in this type of
ceiling, but also about ceiling thickness and irregular top surface.

Downlighters are held in place by spring clips which are designed to press
down on the top surface of plasterboard. If the ceiling is significantly
thicker than plasterboard - which lath and plaster probably is - the clips
may not be able to spring into their proper positions.

Roger