Posted to alt.home.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default Stupid man tricks

In article ,
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

Smitty Two wrote:

In article ,
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

-snip-
Don't go at it head on. Has she picked out a tree? what is she
looking for in a tree? shade? looks? berries?

She wants another birch. (That one was dead when we bought the house a
year ago, so I don't know what killed it.) But we both like Japanese
maples, too.

My guess-- and I'm a long way from there-- is the tree was weakened by
not being able to get enough water- then 'whatever' got to it. There
isn't enough space between driveway, foundation & deck to really hold
a lot a of water. Birches like to keep their feet wet.

A dwarf Japanese maple might work there-- I'm not real familiar with
them. Take your photos to a local [to the house] landscape place &
get their opinion. They know the local climate & problems. [things
like- "Oh yeah, birch blight came through here a few years ago &
nobody can keep one alive for more than a year anymore." ]

You want something with a small root system and can stand a drought.

I'd be thinking shrubs, vines, or some yard-art--- but I don't live
with your wife.g

Jim

Yeah, well I don't live with her either. At least not yet, but we did
buy the house together. Since she does like Japanese Maples, I think I
can sell her on not putting in another birch in that spot.