Posted to alt.home.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default Stupid man tricks

In article ,
"Steve B" wrote:

"Hell Toupee" wrote in message
Smitty Two wrote:
In article , Hell Toupee wrote:

I went to do this with a dying 20-foot apple tree and a little Mazda 323
hatchback. Borrowed a mooring rope from the next door neighbor, drove
the 323 into the back yard and tied the rope under the bumper. Knotted
the other end around the tree trunk. Holding the rope while paying it
out, I walked back towards the car. Pulled a little on the rope and ...
the tree rocked. Hmmm. So at that point, I ignored the car and just
stood there, yanking rhythmically on the rope, rocking the tree back and
forth, back and forth. (The neighbors were watching, of course.) Finally
the tree crashed down. I put my foot on its trunk, beat on my chest, and
gave my best Tarzan yell.
Hey, I had an audience. And were they impressed.

(And was I ever lucky...)

So the roots came out and all, or it snapped?

Turned out most of the roots had rotted away. The tree had only one live
branch left on it, and the ground was moist and soft, which is why I
thought I'd try giving it a tug with the car and see what would happen. I
thought it might at least heave it a little out of the ground, and then I
could tackle the exposed roots with a chain saw. Instead, there was so
little root structure left, it came down just from my tugging the rope.
Amazing.

Smitty, I would suggest you try this approach, too. If you was me, you'd be
better looking. No, I meant to say, it I was you, I'd hook up to your tree
high up, and take a good strain on it, and look particularly what the ground
does around the tree. If it gives, it is an indication that the tree is
ready to come down, and a good tug from the vehicle may do it. However, I
would bring down the attachment point to about twelve feet. Just don't
overdo it and snap it. Remember, you are just trying to assess the
situation, and not pull the tree down. Allow for long enough chain/rope so
that the top doesn't land on the vehicle. Not that you'd do that on purpose.
If the root ball is in there solid, then go to plan B. Or C. Or even D.

Steve

Yeah, perhaps I'll cut the branches and give it a try. Unfortunately I
can't pull with a vehicle in the direction the tree is leaning.