Posted to rec.woodworking
charlie charlie is offline

Default drawer slide adjustment

wrote in message
On Dec 3, 9:53 am, "charlie" wrote:
wrote in message

On Dec 2, 11:41 am, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

wrote in message

On Dec 1, 4:01 pm, Swingman wrote:

I'm not arguing. I agree, making things square is important. All
along I've made making things square a goal. For the most part, I did
the things you listed. There was nothing on your list that made me
think, "If only I'd done that my project would be better." But even
if there was...that part of my project is done. It's history.

That's good. It can only be concluded then, that what you need to do is
perfect what you are already doing. Increase your precision, take your
time
before going on in order to make sure each step is complete and ready
for
the next step, etc. Generally, those projects that we really don't like
when they are complete fall into two categories. The first is projects
that
someone else dreamed up and were clearly bad ideas to start with... And
the
second (more seriously), are projects that we just plain old rushed our
way
through.

I'll try to go slower next time: I'll see if I can take 15 years on
my next project.

But more seriously, I prefer to be slow are careful and I think I
mostly do work that way. But being rushed by the glue is one problem
that I didn't see a way around until I was forced to really look for
different glue. (There is no way I ever could have put the case
together in the 15 minutes or so that PVA allows. I enlisted my
wife's help in glue application and assembly and it still took 45
minutes to get everything together.) So when I glued up the drawers I
was always rushed. By the time I would get to the point where I'm
supposed to check if the assembly is square I've already been fighting
against the glue and I'm at the end of my open time and probably tired
and drained from the stress of it all. I'd much prefer it if I could
come back tomorrow and double check the assembly for square. But I
haven't found any 48 hour glues. At least the next time I do
something like this I'll have an hour instead of 15 minutes---that
should cut down on the rush factor. (The next project is a table
which seems like it should be a lot easier to put together than 27"
long dovetails.)

========

try epoxies. the open time can vary from seconds to weeks for different
products. the one i use for glass takes approx 1 week to set up.

http://www.hisglassworks.com/cart/ca...ct_detail&p=94

Do you have any idea what the working time of this stuff is? They say
it takes a week to cure. I have an epoxy that takes 2 weeks to cure.
But the working time is only 80 minutes.

=============

i've heard of people moving things glued using hxtal for a couple of days at
least. you have to clamp or have it sit still for almost the entire week, as
it can creep until it sets. here's what the faq on it says

"HXTAL sets slowly - at 75°F, it requires about one week to achieve most of
the final bond strength, (see Physical Properties Sheet). However,
ordinarily HXTAL is set sufficiently after 24 hours to hold the two parts
together as long as no stress is applied to the glue joint."

regards,
charlie
http://glassartists.org/ChaniArts