Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Mills Roger Mills is offline

Default Blocks for building a single block wall

David WE Roberts wrote:

Hi,

just looked at blocks for building the single block wall for the
shed/workshop and saw a very large list of options.

So what would the team recommend for building a single block wall to
about 2M high for a workshop 8m * 3.5m external dimensions?

Do I use the old style 'breeze blocks' or can I use something with
better thermal insulation?

Is 100mm thick O.K. or should I go slightly thicker for more
stability and better insulation?

I haven't decided yet if I will render the outside, or just paint the
blocks.

Any advice welcome.

TIA

Dave R

Can you still get old style breeze blocks? You certainly need something that
will withstand the weather - preferably concrete-based. The lightweight
thermal blocks intended for internal use would be completely useless.

Have you considered hollow contrete blocks - the sort that look like a
squared off figure 8 in plan view? These are wider than standard blocks, and
will give greater stability. You could presumably fill them with some sort
of insulating material - but you would, of course, still have a direct
concrete bridge from inside to outside - so you'd probably want to dry-line
it as well.

Is this a free-standing building? Being under 30M^2 internal area, it is
presumably outside the scope of building regs (provided you satisfy the
other conditions) so you can do more or less what you like - as long as the
planners are happy! How are you going to do the electrics? that's another
mine-field to grapple with!
--
Cheers,
Roger