Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default drawer slide adjustment

wrote:

mostly do work that way. But being rushed by the glue is one problem
that I didn't see a way around until I was forced to really look for
different glue. (There is no way I ever could have put the case
together in the 15 minutes or so that PVA allows. I enlisted my
wife's help in glue application and assembly and it still took 45
minutes to get everything together.) So when I glued up the drawers I
was always rushed. By the time I would get to the point where I'm
supposed to check if the assembly is square I've already been fighting
against the glue and I'm at the end of my open time and probably tired
and drained from the stress of it all. I'd much prefer it if I could
come back tomorrow and double check the assembly for square. But I
haven't found any 48 hour glues. At least the next time I do
something like this I'll have an hour instead of 15 minutes---that
should cut down on the rush factor. (The next project is a table
which seems like it should be a lot easier to put together than 27"
long dovetails.)

Simple solution: Don't glue-up the whole piece at once!! Break it into
two, or more, glue-ups! Rare is the component that you can't break down
into multiple glue-ups if need be.

CAVEAT: when doing partial glue-ups, it's a good practice (actually
imperative) to go ahead and clamp up the full assembly, both glued
joint, and unglued joints, and check for square.

Use some common sense with multiple glue-ups, think it through so that
you don't glue yourself into a corner; practice the steps first before
each glue-up, with clamps at ready; and your project will thank you ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08