Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] adrian@cam.cornell.edu is offline

Default drawer slide adjustment

On Dec 2, 11:41*am, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:
wrote in message

On Dec 1, 4:01 pm, Swingman wrote:

I'm not arguing. *I agree, making things square is important. *All
along I've made making things square a goal. *For the most part, I did
the things you listed. *There was nothing on your list that made me
think, "If only I'd done that my project would be better." * But even
if there was...that part of my project is done. *It's history.

That's good. *It can only be concluded then, that what you need to do is to
perfect what you are already doing. *Increase your precision, take your time
before going on in order to make sure each step is complete and ready for
the next step, etc. *Generally, those projects that we really don't like
when they are complete fall into two categories. *The first is projects that
someone else dreamed up and were clearly bad ideas to start with... *And the
second (more seriously), are projects that we just plain old rushed our way
through.

I'll try to go slower next time: I'll see if I can take 15 years on
my next project.

But more seriously, I prefer to be slow are careful and I think I
mostly do work that way. But being rushed by the glue is one problem
that I didn't see a way around until I was forced to really look for
different glue. (There is no way I ever could have put the case
together in the 15 minutes or so that PVA allows. I enlisted my
wife's help in glue application and assembly and it still took 45
minutes to get everything together.) So when I glued up the drawers I
was always rushed. By the time I would get to the point where I'm
supposed to check if the assembly is square I've already been fighting
against the glue and I'm at the end of my open time and probably tired
and drained from the stress of it all. I'd much prefer it if I could
come back tomorrow and double check the assembly for square. But I
haven't found any 48 hour glues. At least the next time I do
something like this I'll have an hour instead of 15 minutes---that
should cut down on the rush factor. (The next project is a table
which seems like it should be a lot easier to put together than 27"
long dovetails.)

If an experienced cabinet maker would burn my project and start
over....well, that really isn't useful information for me. If that's
the case, then I will end up with a project that doesn't look like it
was made by an experienced cabinet maker. That's OK, because I'm not
an experienced cabinet maker. I consider this my first real furniture
project. I want to know how to make the best of what I have. Being
told "you're screwed" is not helpful. I want to look forward, not
backward.

Ok - then take the input you receive, and try to figure out what you are
doing that is not really in keeping with that advice, rather than getting
defensive.

You're right. I did respond in a defensive way and I can see this now
that it was not what I should have done.