Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Franc Zabkar Franc Zabkar is offline

Default Kill-a-Watt surprises

On Mon, 2 Nov 2009 09:00:58 -0800, "William Sommerwerck"
put finger to keyboard and composed:

Its been pointed that you don't really need a watt or watt-hour meter to
save money -- you just turn off things you're not using.

This is not altogether true.

My electric bill was ridiculous, so I started checking. I'd been too lazy to
regularly turn off my A/V system's equipment, which includes a number of
vampire devices.

I was surprised to discover that the Parasound controller pulled 30VA, even
when not turned on. And a Lexicon CP-3plus drew 20VA, simply in standby. As
I rarely use it, I turned the standby switch to "off".

Calculate the VA consumed by the X2 EMI suppression capacitor across
the mains terminals.

For example, a 2.2uF cap across a 240VAC 50Hz supply consumes 39.8VA:

http://www.google.com/search?q=240+x...+x+50+x+2.2E-6

- Franc Zabkar