Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default Decimal to Fraction Conversion - and Letter- and Number drill bits

On 2009-12-02, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article ,

On 2009-12-01, Joseph Gwinn wrote:

[ ... ]

Maybe yes. It may be that the rule for number drills was driven by the
rule for drawing wire, but there nonetheless is a rule.

But the number sizes were tweaked a bit to avoid duplicating
fractional sizes, so there are more fine steps available for a complete
set of drill bits. (The letter sizes have an exception -- isn't it 'F'
which is precisely 1/4"?) For even more fine steps, get a set of metric
bits in 0.1mm steps to keep with your fractional/number/letter set.

Good point. They probably did intentionally avoid fractional sizes.

It makes sense for them to have done so.

It's the E that's exactly 0.250", not the F. I just looked.

O.K. I don't have to use the letter sizes often enough to
remember, and with my (heavy) 115 bit index downstairs, and me upstairs
typing, I wasn't going to bother checking it. That's why the '?' in my
statement. :-)

BTW -- How many of you have one of the 115 bit HUOT indexes which hold
fractional, letter, and number sizes? How many of you have
wondered what the little bent-up hook is for in the letter size
section?

Well ... it is just right to hold a HUOT index for #61-#80 wire
sized bits, so I have just exactly that in mine. Presumably
somewhere it is documented that this is what it is for, but if
so, I haven't seen it yet. :-)

I don't have that index, but I do have a collection of individual Huot
indexes. I don't like the new Huot indexes near as well as the old
ones. Are there any better brands than Huot?

Hmm ... I've not seen better ones, but I have seen much worse
ones -- the ones with links to pull each layer up as the one above it
moves past a certain point -- but made of the cheapest tin can material
you can imagine, and distorting (and the hole sizes not very accurate).

My 115 bit Huot is as good as the earlier ones for individual
sets -- other than being heavy with all of those bits in there. I guess
that I got it about ten years ago from MSC -- filled with good "Made in
USA" bits. About that time the cheaper sets were in similar looking
boxes, but which they warn were not genuine HUOT. Is it possible that
you've encountered some of these?

The only HUOT index which I find awkward to use is the really
old one for 3/4" to 1" bits with MT-3 shanks (a nice fit for the lathe,
but *really* heavy. :-)

Of course, I also have a zinc die-cast index (stand) from GTD
(Greenfield Tap and Die) for fractional bits near the tailstock of my
lathe. That is pretty convenient for most things, with a small
number-size index of screw machine length drills of cobalt steel with
split points which are so nice that I use them whenever possible. (They
are also in a HUOT index, a bit newer, and it works well too.)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564