Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Stupendous Man Stupendous Man is offline

Default Tap-Matic

After I broke 3 taps this morning i used the old standby, the cordless
drill. Got them all done. perfect accurracy was not required.

The holes are only deep enough for 7 threads at 20 per inch, I am making car
door handles. The Tapmatic doesn't reach the part to start tapping when the
depth stop is set for neutral and retraction reverse as normal, so i was
counting the turns as it went in by a paint mark on the chuck at 300 RPM in
cast aluminum. Near as i can figure the clutch is erratic, as it workes fine
for 10 or so holes and then a tap snaps. I will take it apart when I have
time and make sure all the plates are clean and dry, this tapping head has
been around a while
--
Stupendous Man,