Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default drawer slide adjustment

Mike Marlow wrote:
If I'm building 10 cabinets to line a 25' wall, 5/16 gives me 10/32.
1/32 fudge room on the width of each cabinet isn't really unreasonable, is
it?

In my mind yes it does seem unreasonable. Others might well disagree and
I'll defer to experience on this. I look at it this way - error compounds
over time/distance. Therefore, strive for dead on and let the error of the
environment ( the wall) be the minimal error you have to contend with. The
more tolerance you allow, the more make up you have to introduce. Sooner or
later it shows. My rule of thumb - you can't hide it as it grows. 10/32 on
each cabinet does not seem like much, but in reality you don't have that
small amount to deal with. One cabinet will be dead on and now you're
dealing with 20/32 on the next cabinet. Or worse. Error compounds error.

I'm sorry if I said anything that made you think I believe +/-1/4" on a
30" cabinet is acceptable.

As for whether 1/32 on each cabinet is reasonable - well maybe. My point is
only to strive for dead nut. You will by default, miss that expectation.
Don't assume a fudge factor going in. Assume dead on going in. When you
find that you're off by 1/32 or 1/8 or whatever, you'll find that you're
dealing with a lot less make up than if you anticipate error going in.

I agree you strive for dead-on. My point is I'm not loosing sleep if, at
the end of a project, I find I'm within a tolerance that is probably
close to the seasonal expansion/contraction of the wood I'm using. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--