Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Up North[_2_] Up North[_2_] is offline

Default machining rubber

"Wes" wrote in message
Today, I had to make some grippers for a machine that grasps a round part
and then drives
6 bolts in to 50 lb/ft.

I was using some rubber with fabric re-inforcement. I learned that drill
bits don't make
on size holes nor do end mills. Obviously, clamping forces have an effect
on hole
diameter.

I ended up moving up in size until the 8-32 shcs fit.

This was one of those close enough applications.

Any tips on machining rubber?

Wes
--

The only thing Obama has fixed is Carter's reputation.

Grind your bit so it looks like a wood bit. I used to drill larger holes in
rubber conveyor belt with a modified drill bit that looked like this.
http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/P...ing/077914.jpg
Steve