Posted to alt.home.repair
Erik[_5_] Erik[_5_] is offline

Default Stupid man tricks

In article ,
Erik wrote:

In article
,
Smitty Two wrote:

Based on Archimedes' bold lever concept and some drinking, I've come up
with a plan to pull down a dead tree with my Toyota Avalon and a few
lengths of stout towing chain. The tree is a birch, about 8-10" diameter
and maybe 30' tall. Those are rough estimates as I'm not currently on
site.

I'd like to pull it down rather than cutting it down, so that I can get
most of the roots and leave a nice hole for a replacement tree. The plan
would involve chaining the tree about 15' above ground, and hooking the
other end to some stout part of the car. There is plenty of clearance
around the tree, and it's right next to the driveway.

Now that I'm sober, I'm ready to suffer the slings and arrows of your
feedback. Is this concept even remotely feasible? What if I rented a 4
wheel drive truck with manual transmission? Or, if I could get even more
chain and a come-along, use the base of a bigger tree across the street?

Before seriously considering this be sure there are no underground
utility lines or whatever in the area that could be damaged by digging
or root movement.

Having said that, I think if I got liquored up enough to attempt this...
I'd first dig a series 'troughs' radiating out from the trunk maybe 10
feet or so. A few inches deep should be fine. An array of deep post
holes dug within the troughs might also help... The troughs could also
run parallel to one another throughout the trunk area.

I'd then fill said troughs with water, and leave a hose trickling at
such a rate as to keep them full for, oh, maybe a week or more. Fence
off the area! The trough/holes will be nearly invisible in the dark and
very hazardous anyone in the area!

Your mileage may vary considerably, depending on how level the ground is
around the tree, rock content of surrounding soil and water source
availability.

What ever you do, be careful and fully think things out... I have never
done this, or even seen it done on TV. It's just an idea, and not
necessarily a good one. This project isn't worth getting hurt and/or
sued over.

Erik

Hmmm... after viewing the photos, I take back the trough and water
idea... I had imagined this tree more out in the middle of a yard/field.
This one is way too close to the house.

I think this one will need to be removed by conventional means.

Erik

Erik