Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Sjouke Burry[_2_] Sjouke Burry[_2_] is offline

Default One more antenna question: Antenna pitch?

mm wrote:
On Tue, 1 Dec 2009 14:35:23 -0800 (PST), whit3rd
wrote:

On Nov 30, 11:46 pm, mm wrote:
One more antenna question: Antenna pitch?

That is, my attic has a pitched roof and the antenna for channels 7 to
60 that I'm thinking of now is almost 13 feet long.

Yes, it matters; the main part of that long antenna is 'director'
elements, which create a kind of shadow on the active
dipole. The rays get past if you aren't roughly lined up with
the line-of-sight to the transmitter.

Also, such a long antenna has high 'gain' which means it
MUST be aimed carefully; how can you possibly adjust it
if it's bumping into the roof?

I may be confused about what "gain" is. Why would a high gain antenna
have to be aimed carefully? If it has high gain, it seems like it
would have some gain to spare if it were badly aimed.

If it had low gain, it seems like it would have to be aimed precisely.

High gain means "narrow bundle" , so a high gain antenna needs
careful aiming.