Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leon Fisk Leon Fisk is offline

Default Use of primitive tools

On Tue, 1 Dec 2009 17:41:59 -0600, "William Wixon"
wrote:

snip
me too. just recently got one of those fancy new expensive can openers
(wouldn't've got the fancy kind except the cheap ones i kept buying kept
breaking, was sick of buying cheap junk). i've always used a rubber spatula
to get every drop of soup/chili/etc. out of the can, and the ridge left from
the new pull top cans were kind of frustrating. with the new can opener
it's easy, leaves a smooth ridge-less edge. i just mention this to say,
leon, you're not the only one. i think it's from my grandfather having gone
through the depression, something like, he was abandoned and later adopted
by an abusive family, hard times, tough childhood.

b.w.

Both my Mom and Dad went through the depression, WWII
rationing and working for a living. Might be more of us
around than I think, but most of the people I've been privy
to observing don't bother...

What does it smell like? Does it look okay? Try tasting
it... seems to be a lost art nowadays. People only seem to
understand expiration dates anymore. Which I don't pay a
whole lot of attention to

For a good regular can opener look at/for "Swing-A-Way". You
need to have both the upper and lower wheels geared
together. Used to run around $8 for one. We have two, the
older one has been in use for ~30 years or more. Still works
fine, probably would be a bit easier to crank if I gave it a
good clean/lube job. Only had the safety cut for a couple
years, don't know how well it is going to hold up. Bought it
in hopes that it would work on the crummy pull-top cans,
which it does. Mom can't crank it though, turns too hard.
She can use the old Swing-A-Way just fine though.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b