Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Which tool is needed. . . ?

On Dec 2, 2:31*pm, Ned Simmons wrote:

That may be true of resistors, but not bearings. For example, Barden
makes *only* precision bearings. Precision bearings also have
different cages than the bearing you get if you simply ask for a 6206.

I think it is true for most manufacturers. It has been sometime since
I read whatever I read. I may have been reading about roller bearing
at the time with the emphasis on using the sizes that are relatively
cheap because they are manufactured for use on semi-trucks.

This is true. I was told by an SKF engineer that most of their ABEC 1
deep row bearings will meet ABEC 5 standards, and I've verified this
in a couple cases where I built very low speed spindles with sub-tenth
runout using ABEC 1 bearings. The fallback plan was to replace the
bearings with precision units, but it wasn't necessary.

So if most meet ABEC 5, what are the chances that some meet ABEC 7 or
9?

Dan
--
Ned Simmons