Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hot Ceiling from fuel lamp

There are a variety of different oil lamps. The two I was
using are on the smallish side. The larger of the two, I
just put on a postal scale, and find out out weighs 1 pound
2 ounces (not much fuel; probably get up around a pound, 4
ounces if it was full).

I'd rather have a hot lamp hanging out of the way, compared
to on most of the flat surfaces I've got. These are smallish
lamps.

Aparently, other folks have bigger or brighter lamps, which
put out more heat.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"aemeijers" wrote in message

Based on the cabin we had when I was a kid, I'd say yes, at
least if it
is hung that close. The upper parts of the lamp got way too
hot to
touch, and would singe paper. They also weigh way more than
a cup hook
is rated for- you want a big S-hook into solid wood, not
some itty-bitty
thing half an inch into a trim board. If a hot lamp falls
and spills,
then you have a real fire hazard. I refer you to Mrs.
O'Leary's cow, or
any old western movie where they have a fight in the old
mine. We
usually used a sheet of shiny metal as a light reflector
above or behind
the lamp- one of those old silver hot pads with
heat-resistant back
would be ideal, but a patterned stainless stove backsplash
would
probably work well too. Or even a sheet of galvanized with
an air space
behind it.

--
aem sends...