Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair
Don Ocean[_2_] Don Ocean[_2_] is offline

Default Hot Water Furnace Additive?

Brian V wrote:

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Would some Prestone help reduce corrosion? Might....

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Grumpy" wrote in message
news "Not necessary" but you can if you wish add antifreeze

"bobted" wrote in message
After draining my gas hot water boiler system, is there
any sort of
water additive I should add (e.g. anti-corrosive) when I
refill it?
And if so, how?

Thanks!

Prestone? In a boiler? I don't think so! Ethylene/Polyethylene glycol
is toxic. Why would you ever put that any where near your domestic? Use
a product like Harvey Heat or similar which carries all the
anti-corrosive additives as well as uses Propylene which is non-toxic.

This is absolutely correct. Most system have an automatic water
replenishment valve to compensate for any water losses. This
replenishment system is hooked directly to the potable supply water
for human consumption. Toxic chemicals in the heating loop could seep
back into that potable system and kill or cause permanent brain damage
to mammals and humans.