Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt Colbyt is offline

Default Buying vs Building... some questions

"Alex" wrote in message
Hi Everyone,

My wife and I have decided to sell our older ranch style house to move
up to something newer and bigger since we now have a kiddo with
hopefully more to come. But with this we're debating on whether to
build or buy, and with that we'd like to jump on whatever decision we
make to meet the deadline for the $6500 tax credit if possible.

We've literally been driving around neighborhoods in our area for a
few years now seeing what's out there, plus we've both bought and sold
houses in the past so we're not green in that part of it. My concerns
are more with building vs buying because in our area, Waco, Tx, it
seems most houses anymore are built by tract builders, local builders
who throw stuff together (pseudo-tract/cookie cutter homes), or the
more lavish builders who are way out of our price range. It seems
most of the smaller builders who most people suggest didn't make it
after the recession and are now out of business.

Our first step is getting our house ready to sell, which we still have
some projects to finish, hopefully by end of December with the house
going on the market before then.

The first option we're looking at is building with a local tract
builder called StyleCraft Builders. We like the neighborhood and have
a floor plan we love, and the few people in the neighborhood we've
talked to highly recommend them. It's still a tract home which we're
worried about, so should this be a concern if we've read nothing bad
about them and they are A+ with BBB with no complaints? Also though
I'm no expert in the field, I've walked through several of the houses
they're building and the framing and structure looks sound.

Another option is going the traditional route and finding a Realtor
and buying a house that's already built. My worry though is we'll
have to settle with that's available and still pay what we'd pay to
have a custom house built through StyleCraft Builders.

And the last option is finding a local builder to build the house and
hope they shoot is strait and stick around long enough to honor any
warranty work. Going this route probably won't make us eligible for
the tax credit since closing has to be done by end of May 2010, but
I'm not too worried about that if we go this route.

No matter which route we take our goal is to have our current house on
the market by years end and hopefully have it sold by end of January
or February. We've already found an apartment in the area we want to
move to which does offer short term leasing, and we're looking at
storage sheds now.

Has anyone gone down this path??? Are we missing something? Also are
there any factors we're over looking or putting too much emphases on?

Thanks for any suggestions or advice... Take care,

Sam Alex

All builders cut a few corners somewhere because building the "perfect
house" costs mega $.

The key is to find one who economizes in the same place you would and you
sound like you have enough knowledge to decide that.

Your selling plans might be a bit optimistic in the current market. I would
move twice and live in a rooming house before I would buy without having
closed on my current house. I did that once about 20 years ago and it just
isn't any fun.

--
Colbyt