Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mm mm is offline

Default antenna trimming?

On Tue, 01 Dec 2009 14:16:01 -0800, David Brodbeck
wrote:

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
I've not researched it so was only a guess. But I've not noticed quality
radios without a trimmer having inferior MW reception than before.

With the number of stations in the band these days, I find weak signal
performance is rarely the limiting factor. Usually the problem is
selectivity.

This discussion reminds me that my old Mercedes had a momentary contact
built into the power antenna switch that would let you adjust the
antenna length up and down from the dashboard. It was kind of cute but
never seemed to make much difference in reception. (Yet another
example of Germans inventing a problem so that they could solve it, I
think.) The radio itself was an old Blaupunkt and was a magnificent
piece of electronics, though. Vastly overengineered. Automatic
three-stage scan, direct frequency entry, and an alarm clock!

A good accessory. When I'm driving I like to set my alarm clock to
wake me up every 15 minutes.