Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default vacuuming fireplace

mm wrote:

Is it a bad idea to vacuum the ashes out of the fireplace with a
ShopVac, using the "soot" bag? I feel like it might clog the bag,
but otoh, isn't that the point of a soot-style bag?

I don't think it would hurt the bag- but I wouldn't try it if there
has been a fire in the fireplace for a week or so. One tiny ember,
coupled with the fanning action of the vacuum could make a real mess
when you get a hole in the bag. If you had a fire the night before &
some good hardwood burning- a tiny ember or two is likely.

Get a tip for the vac that you only use in the fireplace. It will be
too sooty to use anywhere else. [and every time you use the hose, if
you drop while it isn't sucking it you're likely to get a mess]

What about vacuuming with a regular filter? That will clog the filter
quickly, right?

I would think so-- and it would definitely make cleaning the filter a
much messier prospect.

The alternative is to spray enough water on the ashes to keep them
from getting all over the place, and shovel them into a bag. I've done
that but vaccuming seems like it would be easier.

"Easier" is putting a gas insert in your fireplace. Remote
controlled, heat when you want it, and off when you're done; no mess--
and if you're buying firewood, cheaper to operate. I switched 5-6
years ago & have been loving it ever since.

Jim