Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] adrian@cam.cornell.edu is offline

Default drawer slide adjustment

On Nov 27, 12:48*am, Charlie Groh wrote:
On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 06:18:22 -0800 (PST), "

wrote:
I'm installing drawers using Accuride 4034 slides, a type where part
of the rail rides on top of, rather than nesting within, the rail that
is secured to the case. *I carefully laid out for the slides and
installed them with the intent to get the drawers 1/4" recessed into
the case. *But each drawer came out a little different. *They aren't
recessed by the same amount, and one drawer front was twisted. *(The
top left is recessed a 1/8 and the bottom left recessed 1/4, or
something like that.)

I figured it should be easy enough to make some small adjustments to
get the drawers to line up a little better. *So for the drawer whose
front wasn't lined up I changed the angle of its slide mounting to the
case. *But it seems that when I make this sort of change, I get
unpredictable results. *This change cause the drawer to twist in its
opening so that the drawer front wouldn't even fit. *The left side was
too far forward so I slid its side back...but this had no effect at
all.

Does anybody have any tips on how to adjust drawer slides?

...looks to me like you're into a bunch of PITA work, pal. *If your
cabinet *and* drawers are built square and true, then it's a simple
matter of a jig or two and you are in business. *If you're out of
square, and it seems that indeed you are, you are in for a bunch of
fussing and fudging. *Strip everything down to the carcass and start
there...

I don't understand your advice. What does it mean to "strip
everything
down to the carcass and start there?" I mean, there's only the
drawers
and the carcasse. How square do things need to be and what sort of
fixes might I entertain if I determine that something isn't square
enough?

(The only idea I had so far was to plane the drawer front corner down
so
that the drawer sits evenly in the case. This would make the drawer
front thickness non-uniform.)