Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis[_5_] mac davis[_5_] is offline

Default Variable speed conversions

On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 23:31:50 -0600, tom koehler
well, this is all very interesting. I use a Shopsmith, and it has the Reeves
type system for variable speeds, but the slowest speed is still way too fast
for most of my turning, and pretty noisy. I have a 4:1 reduction unit that
Shopsmith sells, to add to the power head. Well, this works after a fashion,
but is still clunky way to go, and still not as slow as I'd sometimes like. I
have often thought of converting to a variable speed motor on my Shopsmith,
if I could do it cheaply enough. I guess I got some homework to do.
tom koehler

I really don't think it's worth it, Tom, and would probably screw up the
Shopsmith..

Buy a real lathe and be happy with it.. New start at about $300 for a mini..
Nice used "full sized" ones out there fro $500 or so..

I use my Shopsmith all the time as a drill press and disk sander, wouldn't
consider using that fast, shaky thing for turning any more..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing