Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
cavelamb cavelamb is offline

Default OT-Rejecting fiat currencies

Ed Huntress wrote:
"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
Ed Huntress wrote:
"azotic" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
And the thing that worries me about gold is the possibility that some
day, when things are really rough, people are going hungry and reality
sets in, they may start looking at their piles of gold and realize that
not only can't they eat them, but that it's really a crummy, soft, and
heavy metal that isn't good for anything except bullets and sash
weights, unless the economy is perking along. A little reality would
really knock the hell out of the market.

A lot of people who are buying gold are in for a sleighride, as always
happens. Like any speculative commodity, it only looks good when you
get in on the way up and get out before it goes down.

Now, corn or soy beans...at least you could eat them in a pinch. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress
But when the **** hits the fan gold maybe the one of the few commodities

Best Regards
Tom.
Maybe. But there's always a chance that the human race will wise up and
realize it's just about useless for almost anything that matters at that
point. d8-)

Ding!

We have a winner - and it's Ed (again).

If we let the lights go out, NOTHING is going to matter.

Game it out, Ed.

How far back would er fall?

National anarchy?
Return to sovereign states?
Return to rural subsistence?
Nomadic hunter gatherers?

Or would rampant diseases knock us back to the stone age?

My best guess, and I mean this seriously, is that we'll revert to mowing our
own lawns and to buying our Halloween candy at Wal-Mart.

Otherwise, we might stop buying Mobil 1 and get back to basics with
Pennzoil.

Seriously.

Ed!
You are an optomist!