Posted to alt.home.repair
metspitzer metspitzer is offline

Default Taking apart a Mini-Maglite

On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 16:34:01 -0600, Jim Yanik
wrote:

Metspitzer wrote in
:

On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 13:47:53 -0600, zxcvbob
wrote:

zxcvbob wrote:
Patrick Cleburne wrote:
zxcvbob wrote:
I just found the 3AA MiniMaglite that I thought I left in a motel
room over a year ago. (it was under the car seat) Two of the
batteries leaked -- the ones closest to the lamp. The corrosion
doesn't look bad. The bottom battery just dropped out easily, and
I was able to knock the middle battery out by hitting the tailcap
with a deadblow hammer, but the last one won't budge. I don't see
any way to take it apart from the lamp end. Any ideas?

I wonder if some penetrating oil would help?

Bob

The light is trashed. Saw it apart if you have to to identify the
brand of batteries. Then email a picture of the leaking batteries
along with a polite note to the mfr.

They'll buy you a new one-- though may require sending the mess to
them first...

That's a good idea. They are Duracells, dated "MAR 2013" (I got 2
of them out, and the third one won't budge.) It's a $20-something
flashlight.

Bob

I called Duracell. After waiting on hold for a half hour and
listening to the worst music in the world and being told repeatedly
"your call is very important to us...", they picked up just as I was
about to hang up. Took my information over the phone and will be
sending me a check for $20 (almost enough to replace the flashlight)
and some coupons. They don't want me to send it back -- so I may
still try to drill the swollen battery out but it's *awfully* deep in
there, and I'll bet the switch doesn't work anymore and it's
integrated with the LED assembly.

Bob

Call Maglite and get a two for one deal.

why should Maglite repair or replace a product of theirs damaged by a
battery made by someone else? I'd refer the customer to the battery maker.

Because they are sold with Duracell batteries.