Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus2298 Ignoramus2298 is offline

Default OT-Rejecting fiat currencies

On 2009-11-30, Ed Huntress wrote:
"Ignoramus2298" wrote in message
George, I think that there are income producing assets that should
retain much of their value regardless of devaluation of currency.

Ergo, if I own a piece of a toll bridge, and get dividends every
quarter, I would not be too hurt if the currency devaluates. The toll
bridge would still be able to extract some sizable amount from those
passing it.

And the thing that worries me about gold is the possibility that
some day, when things are really rough, people are going hungry and
reality sets in, they may start looking at their piles of gold and
realize that not only can't they eat them, but that it's really a
crummy, soft, and heavy metal that isn't good for anything except
bullets and sash weights, unless the economy is perking along. A
little reality would really knock the hell out of the market.

They may also realize this when things are not really rough.

A lot of people who are buying gold are in for a sleighride, as
always happens. Like any speculative commodity, it only looks good
when you get in on the way up and get out before it goes down.

When it goes down, I will buy some gold bars just for their looks.

I really enjoyed having those 100 oz silver bars.

Now, corn or soy beans...at least you could eat them in a pinch. d8-)