Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus2298 Ignoramus2298 is offline

Default Should I move to Idaho?

On 2009-11-30, Don Foreman wrote:
OK, I see what is the issue now. Not being a veteran of anything, it
is not an issue that bothers me personally, but if it did, I would ask
to see some paperwork if I was in doubt. I thought that there was some
computerized way to check if someone was a veteran. I recall an
article about fake Navy Seals, and how easy it is to look up.

I'd be surprised if that was true unless Seals are a special case, but
go for it if it interests you. Please share what you discover if you
care to explore. Hacking gummint databases is far beyond my cyber
skill level.

Even if individual 201 files are accessable to the public or to the
artful hacker, they may be less informative than some might imagine.
For example, my DD-214 lists unit assignments but no locations. Unit
locations during wartime were often classified. My DD-214 cites that
I entered at Fort Belvoir VA and was was discharged at Ft. Lewis WN,
no mention of where I might have been between entry and discharge. 201
files are not classified so classified activities and assignments are
not recorded in them. (Well duh!) Beyond that, assignment to a unit
doesn't necessarily infer constant co-location with that unit's HQ. I
was often not co-located with my unit's HQ. Beyond that, TDY
assignments are about invisible unless one could hack the pay
records, but even then all the pay records would reveal is a TDY
assignment with no further detail. Pay records would indicate combat
pay but I don't think pay records were included in 201 files.
Decorations certainly would be included. DD-214 does list unit
assignments so it may be possible to reconstruct location if
now-declassified unit history can be found. For example:
http://www.louisianabulldog.com/35thengineerbattalion/

I was S-3 of the 35th engr bn for a little while. Operations officer,
kingpin of a combat engr bn. Major's billet but they were a bit short
of majors at the time so this ****ant snot-nosed high-talent silverbar
got stuck with the job. Purely ****ed off the company commanders
(captains) who outranked me because I defined their mission
assignments and made it stick. I shall never forget the able
assistance of the redoubtable MSG Richey. Make no mistake, NCO's run
the Army. MSG Richey purely loved it when I got my daily ass-chewing
from the puckerass pencil-necked ring-knocker (West Point) Colonel
who enjoyed taking credit for our results while deploring my methods.
MSG Richey had worked in the ops shop for years but had never served
under an S-3 who got his ass chewed like clockwork at 1600 every
freakin' day while somehow continuing to get more responsibility for
running the freakin' battalion. We did have some fun adventures. Hint:
a combat engr bn has a lovely stash of high explosives and I was quite
good with demo. Missions from Generals dont usually specify method,
only desired outcome. Oh yeah! Generals seem to understand that ya
can't make an omlette without breaking some eggs.

MSG Richey did know how to get 'er done quietly but effectively. He
could kick and lick any E-8 first sergeant in the battalion in less
than a minute. Candy asses don't get to be first sergeants, but MSG
Richey was not exactly a politically-correct fragile flower.

He wasn't a bit reluctant to get 'er done and never had any
complaints lodged against him. I was very glad he liked me because
he was a huge help to me in getting our job done. Get the 1Sgt's in
line, they'll lead their captains. Make no mistake, sergeants run the
army.

That DD-214 is what I would check if I was interested. You may or may
not learn enough from it and from whether it exists at all. It is not
really my cup of tea and not really something that I would like to
pursue.