Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ned Simmons Ned Simmons is offline

Default Which tool is needed. . . ?

On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 21:17:00 -0800, Jim Stewart
wrote:

Ned Simmons wrote:

I can see where a bearing with more accurate geometry might be
stiffer as a result of better stress distribution...
Yes.

but I'd expect that
would make it more robust, not less.
It will last longer in proper service. It also is more susceptible to
overloading from thermal growth, misalignment, etc. If you're going to use
Class 9, everything in the setup had better be perfect. If it is, it will
outlast a lesser-quality bearing.

This doesn't make sense to me. If a high ABEC class bearing will
outlast a lower class bearing under ideal conditions, what's the
mechanism that will cause it to fail sooner in a less than ideal
installation?

Well, he didn't say fail catastrophically. It could be
that it degrades in performance and doesn't meet class
9 specs any longer.

Perhaps, but that's not how I read it. Clearly it doesn't make sense
economically to stick an expensive bearing in an inferior gadget, but
I can't come up with any reason it wouldn't last as long as an ABEC 1
bearing.

--
Ned Simmons