Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default Use of primitive tools

On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 16:44:59 -0700, the infamous Steve Ackman
scrawled the following:

In , on Sat, 28 Nov 2009
13:33:17 -0800, Larry Jaques, novalidaddress@di wrote:

I saw an interesting event on Jay Jeno last night: Memebrs of the five armed
services were trying to open a can of cranberry sauce using a Swiss army
knife. It was horrible. None of them seemed to have a clear idea how to use
the can opener attachment, in fact I am pretty sure some of them used the
wrong attachment. Four of them managed eventually at a cost of some injuries
and the cans were mangled. One failed to empty the can in the alloted time.

That's downright shameful. I hope it comes out later that Leno set
'em up or paid them to stumble. Any other scenario is just too scary.
I hope the Al Queda boys don't see that show. Talk about an esteem
builder for the enemy...

Nope. They were all trying their best to a) win a
car, and b) not disgrace their branch of the service.

They c) Blew it all the way around.

The question coming up in my mind: Is this entire current generation
totally clueless when it comes to mechanical things, and only good for
playing electronic games?

Yes. In looking for a can to open to time myself,
I found more than half the cans in the cupboard are
the "pop top" type that require no can opener at all.
Probably not too many guys still active duty who have
ever even seen a P-38 or C-ration. Seems to me that
MRE's came out sometime around '80...ish.

It would also appear that not one of them ever had a Cub Scout or Boy
Scout session, and none of them spent any time with their dads in the
shop or hardware store. That's truly sad.

--
Some days, it's not even worth chewing through the restraints.