Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Beads in frame of insulated glass window

hr(bob) wrote:
I have some 25 year-old double-hung windows that supposedly have
double vacuum glass for the glazing. They have been cloudy between
the two pieces for many years, but I didn't get around to working on
them until yesterday. I removed one of the glass assemblies to see
how thick they were and the exact dimentsions so I could order some
replacement glass units from my local glass store. I have used the
store to prefabricate glass to replace some other window units about 9
years ago with great results. As I was removing the two layers of
glass from the aluminum frame that separated them, the aluminum frame
separated at one of the corners and a zillion (well maybe only a
million) tiny white beads came out of the frame. They were about the
size of sprinkles on chocolate mints. I am guessing that maybe the
windows weren't really vacuum sealed, but depended on the beads to
absorb any moisture that headed in their direction.

Does anyone have any experience with these types of windows they can
share?

That would be a dessicant.

Generally, you're best recourse would be to have new doublepane units
fabricated for the windows. If you're lucky, they have the wherewithal
to make them the same thickness or thinner than the existing
panes/dividing holders. Inert-gas-filled are better choice than vaccuum...