Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default antenna trimming?

In article ,
Michael A. Terrell wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

In article ,
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Most US car radios allowed the adjustment by removing the tuning
knob and using a small screwdriver to adjust the capacitor. A lot of
cheap imported radios had no adjustment, and had very poor AM BCB
performance.

My V expensive Blaupunkt doesn't have an aerial trimmer - nor have I
seen one for many a year. Thought most had some form of automatic
matching circuit these days?

Fancy words for a little more stage gain and lower performance. They
did that because most people were too stupid to adjust the trimmer
properly, and would return new radios as defective. Newer car radios
are crap when compared to the earlier designs, if you want to listen to
a weak AM station.

It might be the case that US buyers are too stupid to know what a trimmer
was or how to adjust it - but don't think this applied to the rest of the
world. Especially considering the facilities on a decent aftermarket radio
these days - the handbook on mine is the size of the Bible. Nor can I say
I've noticed AM performance being worse since trimmers disappeared. Unless
you include those infernal screen aerials. The last radio I had with a
trimmer dated from the early '70s.

--
*Hard work pays off in the future. Laziness pays off now *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.