Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Should I move to Idaho?

"Hawke" wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:
"Wes" wrote in message
news
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

Some of them, however, were treated as such by the Yankee
Carpetbaggers
that invaded Texas after the war.
It would have been a lot simpler if we just left Texas an independent
republic, blocking counterinvasions from Mexico for the next hundred
years.
Then you could complain about Mexico instead of the United States. d8-)

Yes it would have been. If you notice, the feds are protecting the
Texas / Mexico border,
not the Texas Rangers.

As it is, I think we are pretty well invaded now.

Wes

It's pretty hard to stop determined people who can't make a decent
living. Thanks to NAFTA and to corn price subsidies in the US, the
campesinos in Mexico's interior don't have a lot of choice, if they want
a better life for their family. They may not make up most of the illegals
but they are a significant portion of them. As for the rest, just compare
wages in Mexico and Central America with those in the US. If they can get
a job here, they're in good shape. We don't enforce workplace
investigations of illegals. How much better can an economic incentive
get?

Under those circumstances, we're trying to block a dike with a thousand
leaks, and will continue to be, until we figure out how to deal with it.

I think a series of well placed machine gun emplacements where most of the
border crossings take place would do a lot. Hell, if a recession has sent
thousands of Mexicans scurrying back to Mexico imagine what word of the
army shooting at people coming across the border would do. But you're
right, even that wouldn't stop them all. Then again, we don't have to stop
them all, just most of them. It's just a matter of will. If we were
actually serious we could stop the migration in no time at all. But we're
not serious. Well, some of us are. Just not the ones who are in a position
to actually do something.

Screw the machine guns. We could stop it without a shot. Just start throwing
their employers in jail. The traffic to Mexico would start piling up within
a month.

--
Ed Huntress