Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Removing a broken self tapper

In article o.uk,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 16:14:06 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

If you can do that why not just cut a slot and use a parallel

sided
(not wedge shaped) straight screwdriver after the soak with
PlusGas/Diesel? Gentle use of a powered impact driver might be

better
than a hand held tool. How much pressure can you apply to stop any
driver turning out without distorting the bit you want to keep?

That's how I broke them off flush in the first place. ;-)

Ah.

How thick is the surrounding sheet? Could you punch the remnant
through?

I'm wary about using force in case I damage the panel. Think I'll have a
go with a small pointed grindstone to give a centre for a tungsten carbide
drill.

--
*A backward poet writes inverse.*

Dave Plowman London SW