Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Leon[_6_] Leon[_6_] is offline

Default off topic question

"bumhead" wrote in message
My wife and I order online from various places.
We order gifts for us or family and friends.
I order woodworking stuff, pen blanks, etc.
She orders clothes, sewing supplies, etc.

Recently we ordered something and was charged sales tax.
I looked back at several of our other orders and none of them had
sales tax. All had shipping and handling unless it was a promotional
special with free shipping.......but none of them had sales tax.

I thought this was one of the things the states were complaining about
that they were losing sales tax on online orders.

Anyone know what is the law on this?

George (aka Bumhead)

Most states want the online companies to charge sales tax but in most
instances that is next to impossible in inforce.

BUT if the company has representation in your state the company is suppose
to collect sales tax. When the company has representation, a store front,
or sells it's products at trade shows/traveling salesmen, in your state they
have to collect sales tax.

More than likely your taxed on line order came from a company that you could
go to, to buy yourself, some where in your state. In the US, LeeValley
would not charge state sales tax when shipping to you but would if you went
to a trade show and purchased their tools in your state.

This is not gospel as each state works a little differently but is true in
most instances.