Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
FrozenNorth[_4_] FrozenNorth[_4_] is offline

Default off topic question

bumhead wrote:
My wife and I order online from various places.
We order gifts for us or family and friends.
I order woodworking stuff, pen blanks, etc.
She orders clothes, sewing supplies, etc.

Recently we ordered something and was charged sales tax.
I looked back at several of our other orders and none of them had
sales tax. All had shipping and handling unless it was a promotional
special with free shipping.......but none of them had sales tax.

I thought this was one of the things the states were complaining about
that they were losing sales tax on online orders.

Anyone know what is the law on this?

I believe technically you are responsible to declare and pay taxes
yourself on these items. Was the online store in question in *your* state?

Note, I am Canadian, but I do believe I came across that in my reading
somewhere.
--
Froz...