Posted to alt.home.repair
Zootal[_6_] Zootal[_6_] is offline

Default Window repair question

"Joe" wrote in message
On Nov 26, 3:31 pm, dpb wrote:

And, one can generally repair/replace a transmission/engine still for
quite significantly less expenditure than for a whole new automobile.

But it makes no sense to do so for a car that is old, high mileage and
driven where the elements take their toll on the body, electrical
system, suspension, ad infinitum. Similar to that kind of car, the OP
has rotted windows...if he wants to play with tools there is always
Habitat for Humanity. They would be glad to see him.

Joe

It may be true that the elements take their toll on the various subsystem,
thus increasing the risk of future failure. But when does that become
grounds to discard it and buy a new/newer one? Where do you draw the line? I
can repair it, or I can replace it. I consider the cost of fixing plus risk
of future failure, and the cost of replacement and the risk of future
failure of the replacement. I consider my time investment versus my
available time, add it all up, and choose the one that makes most sense to
me.

It makes most sense to me to fix the windows. My time investment is
minimal - it's not that difficult to manufacture replacement wood parts.
Glass panes are less then $2 each, the cost of wood is about a buck. I
already have router, table saws, misc. wood working tools, paint, glaziers
compound is cheap, nails and glue I have. I whipped out the bottom wood
piece last night in between ping pong games with my daughters. I'll whip out
the side pieces tomorrow evening. A bit of glue and a few nails, some
glaziers compound, a few panes of glass, a bit of paint, and I have a window
that looks great and will last many years. And I can puff out my chest, pat
myself on the back, and say I did it myself, didn't take a lot of time, and
it cost less then $10. And I'm neither carpenter nor glazier, yet this I can
do.

A relative of mine looks at me like I'm nuts. Like some here, he can't
understand why I would do this. He would be the first to run down to the
local hardware store of his choice and just buy something. Then he would pay
someone to install it. Considering he doesn't know one end of a screwdriver
from another, for him this is probalby a good choice. I like to make salsa
from scratch - an onion, a jalapeno, a few tomatos and tomatillos, cilantro,
lime, chop, mix, and you have uber fresh salsa. He looks at me like I'm nuts
and asks why I just don't go buy some from the store instead of wasting my
time.

What makes no sense to some, makes perfect sense to others :-)