Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Engineer's square

Bruce Barnett wrote:
-MIKE- writes:

If you really like precision, some of us bought a TS-Aligner Jr
to do precise alignment of a tablesaw.
http://www.ts-aligner.com/tsalignerjr.htm

It's just me, but I can't see paying over a hundred bucks for something
you can make with a dial indicator from Harbor freight and some scrap
wood/metal. I made one and it's accurate... certainly more than accurate
enough for woodworking.

FWIW, The TS Aligner Jr can do several things
Mitre Gauge alignment
Sliding Table alignment
Spindle alignment on a drill press
Jointer blade height

The one I made for 15 bucks does all that.
It's a dial indicator on a stick, there's nothing ingenious about that. :-)

Id's also suggest a Wixey Angle guage. I got one from Rockler for $20
recently. http://www.wixey.com/anglegauge/index.html
It's a much easier way to set precise blade tilt.

I second that.

The BealeBox and iGaging (makes the Beale) AngleCube have magnets on
three sides with make it a little more convenient.

So does the Wixey

Are you sure about that? Did they upgrade it?
All the pictures I've seen show magnets on the bottom, only.

In looking around, I also see that Rockler has the AngleCube online for
20 bucks.
You can usually find a code for free shipping, too.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--