Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default Which tool is needed. . . ?

On Nov 29, 9:20*am, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message

On Nov 28, 11:19 pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message
I'm sure there are many possible solutions. ...
Ed Huntress
The problem is making the first headstock spindle without another
lathe. Once you have it you can machine a better one.

In my case someone would likely offer me a good lathe cheap *after*
seeing the one I struggled to make.

jsw

I wouldn't attempt this without access to another lathe, unless someone made
it a group or club project and made the necessary machined parts available
for a reasonable price.

--
Ed Huntress

I think it could be achieved starting with a simple machine that's
adjusted into place. For example my dead-center lathe could bore the
headstock pipe for your cast concrete one. Slide the headstock down
the ways over a long fixed boring bar.

The practical application is temporary oversized equipment to
recondition old worn machines. I'd like to rig up a milling head with
enough X and Y travel to clean up the ways of my surface grinder. It
only needs to slide along one axis while cutting, and can rest on
parallels for the other axis.

jsw