Posted to alt.home.repair
Ashton Crusher[_2_] Ashton Crusher[_2_] is offline

Default Safety lites on gar. door opener

On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 18:16:09 -0600, Willie The Wimp
wrote:

I have a new Chamberlain 1/2 hp chain opener, hope to install tomorrow.

Instructions say I gotta install elec. safety lites inside door. Questions:

1.) What (if any) code requires safety lites?
2.) Practical to install and use opener without 'em?

Replacing failed opener. Did fine w/o safety lites on old openers for 20+
years. Tired of playing ladder-monkey, stapling wires in gar. rafters.

Thx,
Willie

Why not make them serve double duty, or 1.5 duty. What I do is
install them at bumper height instead of way down 6" off the ground.
Then I can't close the garage door and hit the car's bumper and
scratch it if it's not in all the way. I like to only put my cars in
just barely enough to clear the door so I maximize the room in front
of them.