Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.chem
dlzc dlzc is offline

Default US: Chinese drywall not harmful

Dear vjp2...:

On Nov 28, 9:35*pm, wrote:
I've been hearing this story for months.

Like the story of leaded paints on toys, and melamine added to baby
formula.

I don't understand how this happened.

They are still learning. The person that decides to do the shortcut
is praised for the savings, and (usually) cannot suffer a penalty.

Drywall is supposed to be gypsum, but
supposedly some of the troubling drywall
that was USA-made had cellulose in it and
emitted formaldehyde as well as sulfide.

I hadn't heard about USA made stuff doing that, but then again, when
you start cutting "unnecessary" personnel...

Is this some sort of go-green recycling issue?

Probably not.

*Did the Chinese make this drywall for us

Yes.

or did they also use it for themselves?

I heard they did that too.

*In the 1970s folks pumped foam between
their walls and choked from formaldehyde.

.... and from loss of circulation, getting air into the house. We (and
sometimes our heaters) remove oxygen from the atmosphere, and add
CO2. So somehow this needs to be equilibrated to normal atmospheric
levels, without losing too much heat / cold in the process...

David A. Smith