Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.[_4_] Steve W.[_4_] is offline

Default Use of primitive tools

Ignoramus10998 wrote:
On 2009-11-28, Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Ignoramus11641 wrote:
I can even open cans with a bayonet. (which is what bayonets are
mostly for).
No, they are for disemboweling the enemy. Of course you couldn't
possible know that.
Well, I opened cans with a bayonet, and neither you nor I disemboweled
anyone with a bayonet. Right or wrong?

I was never in battle, but I was trained by the US Army how to do
it.

Hm, and they told you that bayonets are for "disemboweling"?

Bayonets in actual battle use are the absolute weapon of last resort.
However the way that your taught to use them is to stab at the center of
mass and use the rifles weight to aid your thrust into the vitals. Then
you let the weight drop while you pull the bayonet out. Done correctly
it leaves a LARGE belly wound so that you can actually let that enemy
drop behind you.

Not that you would understand the difference. Does the term 'Affix
bayonets' mean anything to you?

I have never been taught how to use them, but I was taught how to
affix them. In any case, I am not sure whether disemboweling people
with the bayonet attached to a rifle, is very practicable. Maybe
someone could shed light on that.

Actually it isn't real hard, Keep in mind that a bayonet that has seen
use won't have a very sharp edge. The weight of the rifle behind it
helps it to penetrate farther faster. With the current bladed bayonets
you have a LOT more of a chance of doing damage.

Now if you REALLY want to open up the belly you don't use the standard
thrust motion taught in basic or AIT. You use a can opener move that
actually uses the rifle as a lever. In that you turn the rifle on it's
side. Stab it into the target, then as you come close to the target you
step to the side and pull the rifle/bayonet around and out behind you.
Instead of the 3-4" cut you get the other way you end up with a 6-10
inch open gash that really opens them up.

--
Steve W.