Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Which tool is needed. . . ?

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message

On Nov 28, 7:03 pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message

How do you take out both Z+ and Z- axial loads from one single-row
bearing?
Ed Huntress
I don't. On Nov 24 I wrote:

"I would try pillow blocks with setscrews or shaft clamps and jam two
of them together to get preloaded angular contact at the working end
of the spindle. Then the spindle (key-slotted shafting) could be
easily swapped so you could weld a plate on one to mount a chuck, for
instance."

The details depend on whatever I find/order/make for a spindle and
bearings and drive pulley.

jsw

Oh, then we're talking about two different things. I was still wondering
about applying the single bearing to each end of the spindle, like the
Hardinge HLVH.

--
Ed Huntress

Maybe you could machine shoulders on the spindle and pipe sleeve
spaced for the cold spindle, then place an O ring between the outer
race and its retaining cap on the chuck end. Tighten the retaining cap
if the tool chatters or digs in when turning a left-side shoulder,
loosen it if the spindle binds. There ought to be a compromise where
you can get some work done.

jsw

I'm sure there are many possible solutions. But the old designs have lasted
for several generations, for a reason. Aside from the plain-bearing spindles
(which I have and like -- mine hasn't been adjusted in 50 years, and it is
well within spec), various types of roller bearings have been used
successfully, usually with the thrust taken out in a closely-coupled pair at
the head end.

I don't see it as a big problem.

--
Ed Huntress