Posted to alt.home.repair
E Z Peaces E Z Peaces is offline

Default Current flow in main neutral vs. current through water meter

Existential Angst wrote:
"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
Existential Angst wrote:
Awl --

The current in the main neutral *should* be the difference in current
between the main hot legs, right?
However, it is usually off by between 1 and 1.5 amps, which seems to
correspond to the current flow through/around the water meter. This
would
seem to be a *necessary* relationship, right?

My impression is that prior to the utility replacing the old wires along
the
poles and to my house, this current flow through/around the water meter
was
a lot higher -- 3-5 amps.

So the Q is: What is "acceptable" ito current flow through the water
meter
to the street?

My assumption is that if I took out the water meter, then all of the
neutral
current would necessarily flow through the main neutral, and it is just
that
apparently the water plumbing ground is "good enough" to share some of
the
return load -- which doesn't seem like such a terrible thing, esp. given
the
aluminum conductors used by the utility, vs. the copper plumbing to the
street, and perhaps farther.

But again, what are acceptable limits ito of current flow through
grounds?
Is there an NEC ratio, a percentage?
Mine seems to be pretty constant at this 1-1.5 A.

Hmmm,
Sounds like ground loop problem.

Tony, didn't you EE for NASA or sumpn?
Man, it was a miracle that moon shot didn't just crash....

Yeah, I got loads of 60 cycle hum in both hots and the neutral. What
*shall* I do????

NASA uses tricycle gear to eliminate ground loops.

Speaking of elimination, that's what I needed to do while I was
monitoring my water meter the other day. When I got back, there was
current going through it.

I, too, have loads of hum between my hots and neutral. I discovered a
way to get rid of it, but then my stereo wouldn't work.