Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Shopping in Peace, or Avoid the Droid

Jon Danniken wrote:
DGDevin wrote:.
Actually earlier today my wife and I were buying some furnace filters
and a nice HD employee approached us and pointed out a brand of
mid-priced filter that according to her is just as good as the
top-priced one. We'd already decided which ones we were going to
buy, but we thanked her anyway since not responding to someone trying
to help you is pointlessly rude. What would it have cost you to say
you were doing okay and didn't need any help?

Well, you see, that's the difference between you and me. You go into the
store to have your hand held and to and enjoy the social interaction between
yourself and the clerks. That's great.

I have better things to do. I go to the store to buy things to work with,
and I don't need the distraction of dealing with overly aggresive "help".

Jon

Wow. Hope you treat your customers nicer than that.

While I do understand where you are coming from regarding sales droids
that attach themselves to your leg, I agree with the others that say you
are being unnecessarily harsh in this case. I mostly get the aggressive
ones in stores that work on commission. In the big-box home supply
places, I usually don't get anyone, or if I do, and don't need any help,
a 'just looking, thanks' sends them on their way. And at times, due to
how randomly the stores are laid out, it is nice to have somebody lead
me to where something is. (ie, for no apparent reason, the colored coil
stock flashing is in a different location from all the other flashing.)
No, most of them are pretty useless on technical info at my local
place (aside from one old coot in the plumbing aisle), but most are
sensible enough to not try to BS their way through it. (As opposed to
the local best buy, where the snot-nosed kids pull info out of their
ass, and won't go away. I avoid shopping there, unless my need is so
urgent that on-line is not an option. On-line is almost always
significantly cheaper anyway.)

--
aem sends...