Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Dr. Deb[_3_] Dr. Deb[_3_] is offline

Default Variable speed conversions

col wrote:

Having searched this site on various options they all came up with
custom made speed attachments at a high price. Modern drive
converters are digital allowing many parameter to be put in from max
speed to min speed, pre set speed, forward reverse etc. On choosing
a drive inverter as they are called its confusing, these drive
inverters are aimed at industry and trained electricians however
talking the the dealer who sold it to me they are ok for diy
"intelligent" woodturners such as me. Intelligent in that read the
instructions 3 times and take no shortcuts and are not all us
woodturners intelligent!!. So I bought one and a 240v 3 phase motor
all for less than £200, my lathe a old Turnstyler is now magic, a 1HP
motor that goes from 50 rpm to max that i set at 2000rpm. My turning
is now a pleasure a turn of the dial to get a good rpm.
Now technical details the motor (you need a 3 phase motor) they all
come in different mountings foot called b3, flange mounting, and take
foot they all have different dimensions, fortunately a lot of motor
manufactures list all the dimensions and most motors have a code
stamped on them ie 90ls or 80M plus more numbers, this is the mounting
code. Most 80 codes are 1HP 90 are 1.5 HP. Next the inverter (I am in
UK) they are 240v input and 3 phase 240v output. They dont like
sawdust, because they operate high voltages sawdust and moisture is
not good. So you build a dustproof box with a perspex panel and a vent
from outside. You can get IP55 dust protected drives but they are £100
more. I sweated on buying this gear knowing that I was in the field of
trained electricians but it was very easy, my electronic drive is a
"Invertec" drive, they do a economy one called E2 and easy start, you
can use it out of the box without entering any data, mine cost £88,
then you just get a 3 phase motor and screened cable for motor to
inverter drive.
This is a cheap up to date option for variable speed drive and really
if you can wire a plug and take your time with the instructions its a
great conversion at a good price. I am in the UK I used a dealer who
was very helpfull if you want his web site I will send it to any one
considering this route or web sites of motor dimensions. As for drives
search on Invertec and download the manual.
After 4 weeks of research and looking for the best option I thought I
would post my results.
My turning is on a new dimension its magic.
Col

Site? What site?

Deb