Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Question about heat loss to environment?

terry wrote:
First house, about 50+ years ago, insulated, double windows etc. oil
for heating. Oil system operated without electrcity. Oil was then
relatively cheaper and electrical supply then not reliable.

Current house about 39 years, all electric heating. Electricity in
this region now highly reliable, almost 100% hydro generated and now
relatively cheaper. Also electricity considered
ecologically 'friendly' . Very happy with decision back then, to go
all electric. BTW there is no requirement here for AC; every month of
year requires 'some' heating, especially at night when lights tend to
be on.

So been feeling pretty good about our 'non-polluting' energy source
and therefore a presumably small carbon footprint!

Question: But even though we are using a supposedly more ecologically
friendly energy source than burning also polluting fossil fuel (oil,
gas, coal etc.) the heat and other energy generated from the
electrcity that comes into the home does escape into the environment!

So does that 'add' to global warming? Asking because cold water
running down a river would not seem to add heat to te environment?
Whereas after turning it into heat and allowing it to escape into the
environment does so???????

In summary; cold water running by gravity down rivers hundreds of
miles away drives electrcity generators. That electrcity is brought by
high voltage transmission lines (with some losses) to our homes.

Where most (if not all ) of it is turned into heat in one form or
another. No matter how efficient our lights and appliances and
electric heating and cooking, TVs, computers, house tools etc.

So from an environmental viewpoint is our home acting as heat
generator? It is of course well known that even in the coldest regions
cities are a few degrees warmer because of the energy/heat loss from
its buildings.

Curious: Because cold water running down a river would not seem to be
adding any heat to the environment? Whereas turning its energy into
electrcity and then heat which then escapes from our home might do
so???

Rationale discussion/disagreement anyone?

Cold water running downhill puts out just as much heat as that that runs through
a dam and thereby heats a house. All the energy from gravity speeding up the
water is released to the environment when the water is slowed down by rapids and
friction. Most of it probably goes into warming the water, which then warms the
air.

Any hydropower you use to heat your jouse is power that cannot be sold to
another region that would use it to replace fossil fuel generated power, so
conserving is still helpful.