Posted to alt.home.repair
Zootal[_6_] Zootal[_6_] is offline

Default Window repair question

"dadiOH" wrote in message
Zootal wrote:

As I was cleaning the frame, I
realized that the bottom wood piece was rotted much worse then I
originally thought and needs to be replaced.

See? Guess where it was leaking.

Actually - there was a pane missing and a piece of cardboard in it's place.
The rotted bottom was only part of the problem, and not why I originally
decided to overhaul it. IOW I could see the caulk (on the inside, they
installed the window in the frame backwards) was dried and splitting, plus a
missing pane. After I removed it, I found the rotted wood. I'll take some
pics and post the before/during/after images.

________________

I can make one of these,
as they don't require a router jig or table. I don't have a router
bit that will do a rabbet deep enough, so I'm off to HomeDepot
tomorrow for wood and router bits.

You don't need a bit that will do the full depth in one pass. In fact,
you should do it in 2-4 passes.
_______________

I might do the sides also, since
they are easy to do.

Do 'em right - bottom too - or you'll be back to leaks in no time.

I'm easy to convince. The side pieces rotted at the bottom where the were
joined to the bottom piece. The top piece and the cross pieces (I forget
what they are called) are the only ones in good shape. It looks like the
bottom piece was not a single piece of wood, but it looks like they
laminated three pieces together. One with the greek or whatever finish (ogee
router bit?), one center piece, and a narrower piece for the rabbet. Weird.
My approach is to use a single piece and just use my router to shape it. I
have one bit already, I just need the deeper rabbet bit.

I have a 1/4 bit I can use for the first pass, and a 3/8 I can use for the
second. I'm not a router expert, I would have just done the 1/2 rabbet in
one pass...