Posted to sci.electronics.repair,aus.electronics
F Murtz F Murtz is offline

Default Two phases to house - loss of neutral

Sylvia Else wrote:
PeterD wrote:
On Fri, 27 Nov 2009 10:33:40 +1100, Sylvia Else
wrote:

terryc wrote:
On Thu, 26 Nov 2009 22:12:24 +1100, Phil Allison wrote:

Would the two utility meters correctly reflect the energy I
consumed?
**Briefly, yes.
** Indefinitely, actually.
Yep, that is how 415VAC is obtained.
But is it how it's metered?

I haven't gone through the math, and I'd overlooked the fact that
each meter sees a power factor of less than one, so I can't say now
whether I think the meters would read correctly. But if there's a way
of looking at the problem that makes the answer obvious, I've yet to
see it.

Sylvia.

Do it the old fashioned way: make a test! Can't be that difficult, can
it?

Of course not. I'll just get out the 415VAC resistive load I happen to
have lying around, and see what registers.

Sylvia.

Two large lamps in series.