Posted to sci.electronics.repair,aus.electronics
kreed kreed is offline

Default Two phases to house - loss of neutral

On Nov 27, 7:46 am, Van Chocstraw
wrote:
Sylvia Else wrote:
I have to phases of power supply to my house - so three power lines, two
phases plus neutral.

I've on occasion wondered what would happen if we lost the neutral line.
It seems to me that we'd then have the voltage between the two phases
across two sets of appliances, one set attached to one phase, and the
other set attached to the other phase, with the two sets in series as a
result of their common connection to the neutral wire. Since the two
sets are unlikely to represent equal loads, the net result would be a
large overvoltage on one set of appliances.

My electrician says it's not an issue, but I can't see why.

Any thoughts?

Sylvia.

With the exception of some pump motors, nothing in the house runs on
220. Even the stove splits 110 to the burners and 110 to the oven. No
neutral and no 110's to anything.

Different system, there is no 110 here, only 240v and 415v

As for Sylvia, yes you would be charged for the consumption.
this situation would work similarly to a 3 phase delta type load

The load, even unbalanced as it is, would be a certain VA at 415v -
across the 2 phases

How the meter responds to power factor of the load in question would
be the only thing that may or may not register less KWH than actually
used, but this should be to the same degree as the same load in a
single phase install.

IF this wasn't the case, we would have big problems regarding billing
on installs having both single and 3 phase loads on the same meters in
3 phase premises.