Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default Clarke Shear Break Roll 30" Sheetmetal Machine Brake 3in1 GrizzlyHF

On Nov 26, 6:37*pm, "Wild_Bill" wrote:
This 30" machine was just purchased at the local TSC store for $400, not on
sale (+6% tax)......
--
WB

On my Central Machinery model I replaced the solid backgauge guide
rods and their miserable fragile thumbscrews with 1/2" threaded rods
turned to 12mm OD. The threads are slightly undersized so the nuts
coast a ways when spun. I set the inside flange width by measuring
from the backgauge to the center of the top die on both ends.

The joke of a guide square clamps down a 6" ruler instead. The useless
holddown is gone and I use two deep-throat C-clamps and a strip of
wood.

I set the shear blades close enough to cut paper, meaning they rub
slightly. Even then they may spring apart and fail to cut 1/16" 6061
in the middle. 0.050" Al stock is fine.

I made some thin vee padding strips from flashing for the brake and
add them in until the bend angle reaches 90. That's quicker than
resetting the die height screws for different thicknesses, and the
padding protects the finish better.

jsw